Krishi Vigyan Kendra Agwanpur, Barh (Patna) was established on 1st August, 1992.It is one of the leading institutions for frontline extension education mandated to organize vocational trainings in agriculture and allied vocation with emerging advances in agricultural research on regular basis. The center is also dedicated to organized and conducts front line demonstration in consultation with the subject matter specialists for testing, refining and documenting technologies for developing region specific and sustainable land use system. The center is working to promote and co-ordinate agricultural allied activities in farming community and to bring development among the under privileged section in a systematic, productive, sustainable and self-regenerating manner.
Patna district, in general and Tal lands, in particular is specifically popular for Rabi pulses like lentil and gram and oilseed like rapeseed-mustard. At the same time the uplands of the district is quite suitable for kharif pulses like red gram and oil seeds like castor and seasamum. Diara land of the Patna district is famous for the production of the almost all crops of Rabi and summer season but it is kharif season because Diara land is flooded during this season. The flooded region is rice in Organic matter percentage and the productivity of the area is much higher in comparison to upland without the use of organic or inorganic Mansur / fertilizer. In the past five years the production as well as productivity of these crops has increased considerably. The man reason for these yield gaps are their relegation on uncared and marginal lands under rainfed situation and imbalance use for fertilizer. Our center is making the latest agro-technologies under the prevailing agro-eco system available to farmers.
In India pulse covers 13.74% of gross cropped area and account for 6.7% of gross national production with the productivity of 565 kg/hectares where as in Bihar it covers 4.75% of gross cropped area with the productivity of 714 kg/ha.
So, there is large scope to promote the production and productivity of pulses and oilseed in Bihar.
Mandate of KVK
- To conduct On Farm Trial for identifying technologies in terms of location specificity of technologies in various farming system.
- To organized Front-line Demonstration on major cereal crops, Oilseed and Pluses and other enterprises related to Agriculture.
- To organized Vocational Training of Farmers, Farmwomen and Rural Youth to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies and allied enterprises.
- Training of Extension Personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development.
- To Produce Quality Seeds of major cereals, pulses, oilseeds, vegetables and planting materials of fruit crops, vegetables etc. as well as provide to as many framers as possible.
Thrust areas for the KVK
- Sustainable crop production through Improved production procedure .
- Resource conservation technology .
- Watershed Management for conjunctive use of rain groundwater for sustainable farming .
- Integrated disease and pest management.
- Dairy, fishery and livestock management.
- Empowerment and rural youths through agro-based enterprises.
- Introduction and popularization of high yielding varieties and hybrid seed.
- Alternate livelihood support system for farm women and landless labourers through backyard Poultry, Goatery, Mushroom Apiary etc.
- Diversification and / or intensification of existing cropping system.
- Production technology for Diara / Tal land.
- Bee keeping and Mushroom Production as self-employment for rural youth.
- Seed production of cereals, Oilseed, Pluses, Vegetable and spices for self-employment generation for rural youth.
Objectives of KVK
- To create awareness among farmers about different modern technologies.
- To motivate the rural mass to adopt cutting age technology to improve their standard of living.
- To implement five point mission programme of our hon ‘ble president upto grass root level.
- To empower our rural women though imparting knowledge and skill oriented training programmes among them and by creating self employment.
- Organic farming for sustainable agriculture: Vermicompost and Nadep compost.
- INM and IPM in different crops.
- Front Line Demonstration & On Farm Trial in cereals, Pulses, Oil seeds, Horticultural crops Medicinal crop.
- Development of nursery and increasing yield of horticultural crops though NHM Beekeeping and fisheries.
- Socio-economic upliftment of down-trodden people and women empowerment though income and employment generation activities.
Self - Employment Generation and Value - Addition Courses
- Nursery management.
- Floriculture, Medicinal & Aromatic plant cultivation.
- Dairy farming and Goat rearing.
- Post harvest management of agricultural and horticultural produce and improving their Sustainability though value addition into it.
KVK, Agwanpur, Barh, Patna has a 20 ha farm for On-farm research and demonstration. The different cropping and patterns and demonstration units have been developed as per local need and available resources. The demonstration farm is divided into following blocks :
- Cropping lands for various crops.
- Horticulture blocks
- Nursery blocks
- Vermicompost unit
- Agro-forestry-cum-medicinal & aromatic plants unit
- Community Radio Centre
- Mushroom Production cum Demonstration Unit.
The training programmes are being conducted in interactive participatory way with class room lectures duly supported by modern audio-visual aids. The training sessions include hand-on experience in the form of practicals in fields, field visits to identify insect pests and diseases, symptoms of nutrient deficiency, visit to seed production plots, laboratories, group discussions and development of strategic action plan. Training need assessment, pre and post training evaluations are parts of the methodologies being adopted.
The Krishi Vigyan Kendra is having well experienced, reputed scientific faculty specialized in the disciplines of Agricultural Engineering, Plant Pathology, Soil Science & Agriculture Chemistry and Agricultural Extension. In addition, the resource personal/experts in various fields are being invited regularly from RAU, Pusa and BAU, Sabour, The scientists from other ICAR institutes are also being invited for specific lectures.
The Krishi Vigyan Kendra has excellent facilities in term of training hall well-equipped with latest audio-visual aids, colour television, LCD and public address system, well-equipped library, computer and internet. The Kendra has training hostel having well furnished double bed room accommodation with boarding facilities to the participants.